Hypebot Readers Share Their Top Music Industry Hashtags
We recently asked Hypebot readers to share their favorite and most productive hashtags for music industry news. Their recommendations ranged from wildly popular to barely-used. Of course, a barely used hashtag has advantages too: less trash and more of the info you’re looking for. Here are some highlights and the background of the contributors:
- Bobby Owsinski is the prolific author of the blog and book “Music 3.0,” which is loaded with insight on companies use social media and how you can use that media also. He provided a long list of hashtags, most very widely used, that apply to his blog:
#musicbiz, #musicbusiness, #musicindustry, #musicadvice, #musicmarketing, #crowdfunding, #recordlabels, #artistadvice, #majors, #musicindustrytips.
- Sonicbids is a leading company connecting bands to promoters. They tweeted to Bruce, suggesting #ArtistTip and #MusicNews, both of which are widely used.
- Jennie Walker is a recording artist, philanthropist, and up and coming music publisher, with a new CD coming out shortly and a recent win in a major business contest.
She uses her recommendations, #MM, #MusicMonday, to promote new artists and her favorite music companies. Both are very heavily used and associated with interesting posts.
- Madalyn Sklar is a music business and all around social media coach. She authors several blogs about the use of social media in various industries, and is the founder and leader of Go Girls Music. Go Girls, an organization that promotes women in music, uses #ggchat. Madalyn also recently started a daily music biz tip, and puts out a useful tip regularly with #madalynstip.
- Commenter Just Someone suggested #stayindependent, a tag line from a social media business that reflects the spirit of indie music. His hope is to turn the tag line into a rallying cry for independent musicians.
- TheMusicParade, a group that promotes both animation and music festivals, agreed with Jenny Walker on #MM and #Music Monday, but also suggested #nowplaying, which is used thousands of times a day, and the lesser used #onmyipod.
- Tonic Music is a music management, production, and marketing group. They publish an interesting and eclectic blog and newsletter and have a great creative staff lineup. They use #ontheofficestereo, #onheadphones to talk about their latest favorites, and #digimusic for new digital music.
As noted in the original post, Twitter is fast becoming the media of choice for music and entertainment industry news and promotion, with thousands of tweets every hour on the biz. Working your way through the pile of tags and hashmarks can be a challenge. The suggestions our readers provided should help clear the clutter.
What are your favorite music industry hashtags?