#MIDEM 2011 – Music Hack Day, More Deals & News
Updated. A Music Hack Day at the music industry convention most heavily influenced by the major labels? It happened because MIDEM brought the Hack Day team to Cannes; and an eclectic group of international hackers showed an overflow crowd the kind of fun and useful music tech that can be created in 24 hours. Key to most of the creations was the open API's of a few forward thinking companies like The Echo Nest, Soundcloud, Music Brains and Last.fm. My favorite hacks:
- 6 Degrees Of Imogen - a discover the connections.
- I'm A Big Fan - learn all about an artist quickly
- Ask Imogen - fans tweet questions and Imogen answers via
- Dance Fight - two bots battle to create the most danceable playlist
Deals & News:
- The trade show floor was busy on Monday, but the MidemNet seminar area was positively overflowing. Just another indicator that everyone here is starved for answers.
- Strong attendance at Monday's French showcase and Tuesday's UK affair. But as with most industry showcases, the only people acting excited were on the stage...
- The Harry Fox Agency (HFA) has announced the renewal of a licensing agreement with DMI Music & Media Networks.
- John Boyle is exiting as president of Hello Music after less that a year, according to Digital Music News
- New Marketing And Tech Development Company Noise.Inc Launched at Midem - Clients Include Vodafone, Universal Music, Sony Music, The Official Charts Company, Richer Sounds, Defected Records, Elton John and Robert Plant. Senior Team Include a Former Universal Music Head Of Mobile (Kim De Ruiter), Principal Architect At Expedia, And MD Chorion