Music Industry News: Rhapsody’s Optimism, ESP Changes, Pitchfork UK?, EMI Iniza, 1B Gagas & More
(UPDATED) Another week begins. Another CMJ is over. The Terra Firma EMI vs. Citi trial continues. And I'm excited about our exclusive series that started today, DJ Shadow tour will offer a look inside how this cutting edge artist and his team market and stay connected with fans.
- Digital Music Opportunity Is Huge And Now, Says Rhapsody. (SFGate)
- Big changes at jazz indie ESP-Disk as top staffers leave to start new label. (NPR)
- Pitchfork is seeking opportunities to expand overseas. (Music Week)
More Music Industry News & Commentary:
- EMI Music has signed a joint venture agreement with Cathy and David Guetta’s Guetta Events company, to turn the Ibiza dance marque F*** ME I’M FAMOUS into a global dance brand.
- How Squeeze seized the keys to their back catalogue. Glenn Tilbrook and co decided to reclaim songs such as Up the Junction by recording them all over again. (Guardian)
- Laddy Gaga first artist to hit 1 billion YouTube views. (Business Insider)
- Missy Wilson and Laura Wright join EMI Music Publishing team in Nashville bolstering the A&R creative team there.
- Piracy and The Music Industry, The Voices Of Artists Matter. (TF)
- Fallacy Debunking: Successful New Business Model Examples Are The 'Exception' (TechDirt)
- Mobile, Not Net, Drives Indian Music Sales. (WSJ)
- Rupert Murdoch to flog gig tickets? It could be just what the industry needs. (Telegraph)
- There is No New Media: It’s All New Consumption. (Gigaom)
- Piracy Can Boost Book Sales Tremendously. (TF)
- Apple - The short, strange blossoming of The Beatles' dream. (Indie)