PM Update: Anonymous Attacks BMI, UMG Ups Grainge, Tunecore Publishing, FanBridge & More
Hypebot.com publishes a morning roundup of music industry news mid-morning (ET) every weekday and when warranted add this PM update late in the afternoon. For breaking news follow @hypebot on Twitter.
- BMI.com has been down all day under attack from cyber anarchists Anonymous. More info here.
- Lucian Grainge has been officially promoted to Chairman & CEO of Universal Music Group. (press release) You new this would happen as soon as Doug Morris left for Sony.
- Is Tunecore moving into publishing? They've just named Jamie Purpora as President of Music Publishing Administration. He previously was a Senior VP at Bug Music.
- Lady Gaga, Target end deal to sell CD in stores. (Yahoo)
- FanBridge's DamnThe Radio is powering Lady Gaga's preview of 3 new remixes of her hit "Born This Way” on her Facebook page. They've also partnered with Soundcloud and AppBistro to expand their Facebook app.
- NPR's CEO Viviam Schiiler has resigned abruptly (CNN) Schiller was one of the champions of the expanded online initiative which includes the stellar NPR Music coverage that has benefited many artists.
- VEVO is going to live stream Bonnaroo.
- R.I.P. - Alice In Chains bassist Mike Starr